Continuing to post my learnings as I journey from daylight into the dark side of night photography.
Went out on my third night excursion last weekend with my old man. 2 Hr trip up in the mountains to an old derelict blast furnace. I was happy with some of the shots I took.
So What Were The Learnings?
1) I realised when I was down there that I had no idea about how to find the North or South celestial pole.... I do now. Click here to find out how to do it for Nth or Sth hemisphere.
2) My new little Xenon torch was the bomb! No colour casts at all and perfect size and power.
3) Getting into a routine with exposure calculations is important (I only left it on 1600 ISO once).
4) Praying to the gods for clouds seems to work.... it was clear when we started shooting then we got perfect cloud cover through the night.
5) Bottle of red wine definitely goes down well for night photography